e.l.f. Cosmetics

GameFly

Friday, October 23, 2009

Fuel for the Next Generation

I remember when I was in school, a long, long time ago, the food served was pretty edible. I actually looked forward to "pizza Friday", those long rectangle pieces of crust with those little brown mystery meat bits, and the rubbery cheese. I thought overall the food was decent. Evidently this is not the case for our next generation. My kids have complained about the school's food since day one. I just figured they were being picky and never gave it much thought. Whenever they would complain I'd stop it by telling them to bring me evidence. Well after years of going thru this, my son finally did.
He got in the car after school and proudly produced a wad of tin foil. He'd saved a specimen from his breakfast tray that morning. I opened it up, and there was a clump of scrambled egg. Or at least what may pass for it in the public school system. It had a green hue to it and smelled really "gamey". It looked gelatinous and weird. I honestly would never entertain the thought of putting that little wad of egg in my mouth. It was horrible. My son informed me that this was standard fair in the cafeteria.

Has something really went terribly wrong in the cafeterias of our schools? I don't ever remember having anything that looked remotely like that egg. I remember making jokes about what meat was in the hamburgers and how it's funny there were no stray dogs around the school. But the burgers were edible. I never thought I'd have to pack Immodium extra strength in their snacks to combat the effects of that days lunch. It's really kind of scary once you think about it all. We are feeding our leaders of tomorrow mystery eggs and who knows what other kind of culinary abominations! These people are going to be picking out our nursing home, I say it's just smart business to feed them a little better.

No comments: